Wednesday

Where I got rooted to India

Whenever I think of Sahibganj, the first thing that comes to my mind is its picturesque beauty. Bound by the Rajmahal Hills and the Ganges, the town epitomised a rustic simplicity, which was ingrained among the people who lived there. Not many places are gifted with such scenic treasure, of being bound by the hills and the river, that apart Sahibganj would have been like any other non-descript town, till a few years back, of southern Bihar, unless the Jesuits from Malta decided to build a school there.

My uncle Benu Banerjee was a teacher of the St. Xavier's School in Sahibganj for more than a decade and I got admitted there in KG2 in 1975. My paternal grandfather accompanied me from Kolkata and he still lay in the midst of the Ganges, making Sahibganj his eternal abode. I left Sahibganj to join the Ramakrishna Mission Vidyapith, Purulia, in 1980, but the time I spent there still remains vivid in my memory, not least because it was my first school but because it was the place which rooted me to India.

St. Xavier's, Sahibganj, was quite a reputed school then and it attracted students not only from its natural hinterland but also from Kolkata and many other places of the country. David James was my first class teacher and, as it happens probably to every child, he still holds a special place for me as do my other teachers, K P Mitra (Class 1), Brother Andreas (Class 2), Ronnie Ried (Class 3), Miss Meenakshi (Class 4), Bhaskar Sharma (the Bengali teacher), Mr Dey, P C Chowdhury, P K Acharya, A D Acharya, Swapna Banerjee and many others .

Mr James' mother, Mrs James and her two daughters Rosie and Margaret were very fond of me and would often provide me with chocolates. I later learnt that Mrs James was originally from Croydon, which is not far from Hounslow, the place where I live now.

Mr and Mrs Munshi, our next door neighbours, were more like my guardians. Their son (Sushim Da) lived at Chicago the last time I heard from him, and for a very long time I was lucky enough to have a fair share of their affection. Mr Munshi (I used to address him as Jethu meaning in Bengali uncle who is older to one's father) used to umpire cricket matches and probably was the main inspiration behind my prolonged interest in cricket. Jethima (Mrs Munshi) was often strict and would not spare a word while taking anybody to task.

Mr M K Biswas' elder daughter Ratri was my classmate and his wife (Mala Kakima) was another embodiment of love and affection, which was no less than my own uncle and auntie (Mrs Banerjee). Within the staff quarters we were a motely team comprising among others Kuntal (Mr S C Mian's son), Rajesh and Suresh (Mr Raphael's sons), Gujju (Mr Biswas' younger daughter), Sushil (the school laundryman's son), Agnes and her brother (kids of Mr Daniel, who was in charge of shopping for the hostel kitchen). Then there were the Martins and the Josephs. Undoubtedly it was much more diverse than my hometown Belgharia and it gave me my first flavour of a mini India. We had regular picnics and other celebrations, respected each others' beliefs and upheld a sense of fellow feeling. Our diversity never came in the way of celebrating the shared values.

The school was an extrapolation of the same flavour but in a much wider canvas. We had students from many different parts of the country. Initially, I was very close to two Bengalees Ramapati Sanyal (who is now a doctor) and Ashis Banerjee but later on also got closer to others like Randhir Prakash, Rohit Karna, Sanjay Kumar, Chetan Anand, the Kumar Brothers (Rajesh and Rakesh, if I remember correctly), Ramanand Bhagat, Md Ibdouzzia, Anil Yadav, Rumi Bilgrami, Sangeeta (Mr Roy's daughter), Joyeeta Biswas, Dominic Marandi, and Vinay Murmu. Manoj Kumar was very good at playing popular songs using a comb and a piece of paper and Amir Yousuf was a good pace bowler. (There was a Chinese guy in our class and I sincerely apologise for not being able to recollect his name)

Then there were others including some of my uncle's students - Abhijit Chanda, Amitava Biswas (Bablu-da, Dr Biswas' son), Chung Kafa (he was a good footballer), Joseph Chiu (goalkeeper of the school team), Suman Banerjee, Deepankar Roy, Bartik Acharya, Biton Banerjee, Bubanda (Dr Ghatak's son), Kailash Bhaiya (P C Chowdhury's son). The long list might be tiring for those who haven't had a feel of the school in Sahibganj but all these people are still very vivid in my memory. The range of people in St. Xavier's , Sahibganj probably had a profound impact on shaping my idea of India, which takes pride in its diversity and celebrates pluralism.

So, looking back, I remember Sahibganj for its scenic beauty and also as a special place where I spent my formative years. I remember St. Xavier's as my first school and many happy memories. But more than anything else, I remember the place, the institution and the people for giving me a flavour of India and rooting me to the very idea that she stands for.

All comments are personal and have no bearing on others.

14 comments:

  1. Hello Mr. Bandyopadhyay,
    I am very sorry to inform you that one name you mentioned-Mr M. K. Biswas, is no more with us. He passed away last night. I am an ex-student of St. Josephs, sahibganj and he even thought us in class 9 and 10 in the year 2001-02.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how about MR PK Acharya....any idea

      Delete
    2. Sorry to say but he too is no more with us. I guess u must be aware of his smoking habit. Its almost 3-4 years.

      Delete
  2. Mr Bandypadhyay...pls let me know if u have any idea where Mr&Mrs munsi are these days....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, both Mr & Mrs Munshi passed away. Their son Susim Munshi is in the States.

      Delete
  3. All,

    I suddenly came to this page after searching for Sahibganj. Nice article by Tirthankar. I grew up in Sahibganj: lived there from 1950 to 1960 when I completed my high school at E. Rly Boys High ( no St. Xaviers then as it started in 1957 or so.), then visited off and on till 1982. My parents left Sahibganj in 1984. There is not a single day that I don't recall Sahibganj days!

    I knew Monuda (Mr. M.K. Biswas) well. Sorry to hear about his passing away. My condolences to Mala (class wise she was 1 year junior to us). Mr. P.K. Biswas (Jhunu), Monuda's brother was a friend of mine, though 1 year senior in school. I just saw his video interview in you tube. Could any of you send me his contact phone or e-mail please.

    I had met Susim and his family in Chicago. Now I live in Alexandria, VA and work in Washington DC.

    Best wishes to all of you,

    Manas Roy ( known in Sahibganj as Katu)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Roy, many thanks for your comments. Mala Biswas, wife of late M K Biswas passed away in 1985.

      Delete
    2. Vikash Choudhary3 August 2019 at 21:11

      Hi Mr. Roy,
      I hope you visit this page and see this comment. I do have Mr. P.K.Biswas's phone number. I was one of his students at the ST. Xavier's. I met him in December 2017 when I went to India. If you haven't got his contact info yet, just reply to this and I would be more than happy to share his phone number with you. Best.

      Delete
  4. Spent the best years of my life in Sahibganj. My family owned Grants's Estate on which St. Xavier's is built. It was sold to the Jesuits in 1955 when my family moved to Canada. My grandparents and father are buried at the Christian cemetery in Sahibgang.

    Many happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous, thanks for your very interesting information. It would be useful if you kindly remove the garb of anonymity and shed some more light on your comment.

      Delete
  5. I am trying to locate Abhijit chanda's family - can u help with an address/phone or email
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sent an email to Abhijit Chanda communicating your quest. For data protection reasons can't offer the email address here but you may email me separately.

      Delete
  6. Respected Mr. Tirthankar, I am Alex, Rosie James' son..my mom was looking for your contact details for quite some time..just today I came across ur blog n read it out to mom..since I Dont have ur email Id, I'm posting my request here..if its possible then plz mail me ur contact details at alexnashcarr@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. If anyone who is in touch with Mr. Tirthankar, plz give me his contact info..

    ReplyDelete